It might look tricky to make, but this beef stroganoff is easy as pie, and cheap as chips! Ideal for a romantic meal or a Friday indulgence, enjoy with a good glass of red wine.
- 2 beef steaks
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 pot single cream
- 2 beef stock cubes
- Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- Red wine (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the beef steaks into long strips while you’re frying the onions. Add in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Throw in the beef strips and fry until brown and crisp.
- Option A – Add enough red wine to just below the beef and let it reduce for 10 minutes, then top up with water. Option B – Skip the wine and add enough water to just cover the beef. Option C (Highly recommended) – either one of the first two, but you pour yourself a glass to enjoy while cooking.
- Bring the water to the boil, then add in the stock cubes, mushrooms, paprika and season to taste.
- At this point, cook your rice to however you like it, but leave the sauce on a low heat to simmer away.
- Just before the rice is done, add the cream to the sauce and stir until combined. Once the sauce starts to thicken up, you’re done!
- If the sauce won’t thicken up, add a little beef stock.
- Don’t worry about the price of the wine, cheap Tesco’s own works perfectly fine!
- Instead of rice, you could serve this with new potatoes or ribbon pasta.